Post-doc and engineer positions at MPL, Shanghaitech
MPL is working on novel spatial perception systems for robots, intelligent vehicles, and intelligence augmentation devices. Our goal is to develop algorithms that provide mobile/cyber-physical systems with scene understanding capabilities similar to humans. We are looking to fill several positions to help make this vision become a reality:
- Post-doc / Research Assistant Professor in SLAM, geometric vision, and novel camera architectures: A major focus of MPL lies on the exploitation of non-conventional or novel camera architectures and systems, such as surround-view camera systems, event cameras, or light-field camera arrays. Such systems require new models, algorithms, and computational frameworks to produce efficient, reliable, and accurate solutions to the general visual SLAM problem. The candidate will be joining an existing team of PhD students.
- Post-doc / Research Assistant Professor in Deep Learning: At MPL we look at how deep learning can be used towards the solution of several sub-problems in SLAM. For example, deep learning can be used to extract semantic features in an environment, which can then be mapped in 3D and used as anchors for localization. We are also aiming at using deep learning in more mathematical contexts, for example for the solution of hard algebraic geometry problems. The candidate will be joining an existing team of PhD students.
- SLAM Research engineers: We have several spin-off companies here at ShanghaiTech which are looking at applying SLAM to interesting problems in the above listed areas. You would be looking at joining teams at a very early stage and remain close to an academic context. Please get in touch with Prof. Kneip if you are interested to hear more about these opportunities.
It is also possible to have flexible arrangments with a shared involvement in both academia and industry. Furthermore, in addition to the above listed positions, we are always welcoming visiting researchers and professors working in any of the above fields to join us for some time here at ShanghaiTech. You may also contact Prof. Kneip if you are considering to apply for one of our tenure-track positions in the STAR center.
What you get
- Benefits: A fully funded position. Post-doc or Research Assistant Professor positions at ShanghaiTech are regular jobs with social benefits. You would receive a competitive salary plus assistance with relocation, registration, and housing arrangement here in Shanghai.
- A chance to grow in an enjoyable, world-class environment with many outstanding people and simply the best possible infrastructure and resources (multiple motion capture systems, 5-axis CNC, fully sensor-equipped passenger vehicles, FARO, 128 beam Lidars, light-field stages, to name just a few of the more exclusive items). You will furthermore benefit from support for international travels, IP transfer, and spin-off ventures. We regularly publish in top level conferences and journals. For more information on our research achievements, please have a look at our publication list and research agenda.
- Experience in a rising economy and one of the world’s most exciting cities. Shanghai is one of the world’s biggest, most cosmopolitan, and most vibrant cities, a magnet attracting internationals and locals likewise. At the same time, the environment in Shanghai is considered extremely stable, safe and convenient, with an exciting and exotic spectrum of offers hardly found elsewhere in the world.
Who we are
MPL is a very young group within a very young university, which creates a special atmosphere. We operate in a strongly supportive environment and have already achieved many top-level publications. The lab is part of the ShanghaiTech Automation and Robotics Centre (for which Prof. Kneip also serves as a director), which gives it access to world-class hardware and development facilities. The lab and centre are part of the computer science division of the School of Information Science and Technology, which has a strong research culture (for example, the our division achieves an average of 10 publications at recent editions of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition). Considering our still moderate size, it is fair to say that our robotics and computer vision research environment ranks among the very best in China.
ShanghaiTech is a new heavily research-oriented university established jointly by the Shanghai government and the Chinese Academy of Sciences. ShanghaiTech’s mission is to be a world-class research and education center committed to international standards.
- A passion for computer vision, robotics, mathematics, programming and abstract thinking.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- Excellent publications in high-impact conferences and journals.
- Demonstrated strong paper writing skills.
- Experience both individually and as member of a team.
- Experience in complex systems' analysis (multi-objective optimization, uncertainty propagation through complex systems)
- Ability to develop and implement complex algorithms efficiently.
- Recommended/desirable: Strong experience with C++, Python, Matlab, OpenCV, Deep Learning frameworks, GPU optimization and Git.
Evaluation of candidates starts immediately and continues until the positions are filled.
How to apply
Please upload a single PDF including (in the order):
- 1. Letter of motivation. Please introduce yourself and specify your experience in the fields related to the openings. Please comment on your publications (number, level, involvement), and please comment on how you would fit the job description.
- 2. Your CV (please include: your nationality, date of birth, English level, education background, scientific publications, and project experience). Please include reprints of your major publications, or homepage/video links if available.
- 3. List of at least 3 referees (support-letter writers). Please do not provide the letters in advance. Support letters will be requested by us once your application is considered, and it needs to be sended by your referee directly. .
For questions, please contact Prof. Laurent Kneip at: lkneip (AT) shanghaitech (DOT) edu (DOT) cn (please do not use his private email for inquiries about the job positions). In case of positive feedback, you will be contacted within 2 weeks from your application. If not positive, you won't hear back.